The Foreign Languages Department
“You live a new life for every new language you speak.
If you know only one language, you live only once.”
Communication is at the heart of the Action Plan of our Department. When one learns a foreign language, French and Italian in the case of our students, they do not only learn it to sit for an exam. Our aim goes way beyond that. Knowing how to speak French and Italian will allow them to communicate with at least 48 countries from all over the world in different situations: travel, study, work, foreign friends and relatives. As one studies the language, it will also give him/her a better understanding of the culture and way of thinking of the country. As Nelson Mandela once stated: “If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.”
In order to achieve our aim, several activities are planned to give our students the opportunity to learn and put in action what they have learnt as well as appreciate it.
- The Grade 8’s exhibition – « La France pour moi »
- The Christmas Card National Competion. Our school placed third with the card of Daniel Scicluna Calleja Grade 12 and other younger students received other certificates with Mention Special. See the winning entries by – Clara Galdies – Sarah Attard – Daniel Scicluna Calleja
- The Crêpe Week – a charitable event. Students of Grade 10 prepare and cook the typical pancake from Bretagne and share this desert with their friends during break time. This year a total of 270 euros were offered to Puttinu Cares.
- The Francofête – Being represented by Karl Bonello, Yasmin Schembri and Alejandro Borg of Grade11, San Andrea placed first for the third time in this national yearly event.
- The Italian National Competition – Arte, Scienza e Tecnologia. The Italian Ambassador, Sua Eccellenza Paolo Andrea Trabalza, the education Officer, Mr. Tony Degabriele and Subject Coordinator Ms. Bernardette Gerada visited the school as judges to this competition. We are still awaiting the results for second and third places.
- Campionissimo – Revision Quiz in Italian for Grade 8 and Grade 9. For the scholastic year 2008-2009, this has been won by the House of Provence.
- Questions Pour un Champion – Revision Quiz in French for Grade 9. This scholastic year, the House of Aragon is the winner.
- Toscana Educational Field Trip -A group of 32 students aged between 12 and 14 spent an education week in Toscana. Read more here
- Senior School French Exchange – A group of student Visit the Vallon Pont D’Arc, Ardeche in the South of France. Read more here
Ms. Marie Louise Kara
Coordinator & French Teacher
Foreign Languages Department