Medez Fest - Youth & Children Film Festival will be happening for the first time in July 2024.
It is to form part of a wider event: MEDEZFEST which will include performances of poetry, literature, drama and musics.
The name itself is a unique and catchy name that combines the first four letters of the word Mediterranean with the abbreviation "Fest" for festival. The name suggests a celebration of Mediterranean culture, including its film, poetry, literature, drama, dancing, singing and music. The name is easy to remember and has a positive connotation, making it a great choice for an event focused on promoting the arts and culture of the Mediterranean region.
MEDEZFEST will be taking place in Malta, a Mediterranean island located right in the centre of the Mediterranean sea.
The location is L-Imselliet, a valley on the the limits of Żebbiegħ in the northern part of the island. This festival is meant to focus on works created by students aged 11-13 years old. It is also open to students aged 14 - 16 years old. Works will be accepted in separate categories from educators, professional film makers (freelance) or film companies.
Out-of-competition submissions may also be included.
Awards and Prizes
1. Official Selection for each category will receive a MEDEZFEST digital certificate with verification and a digital copy of the official MEDEZFEST laurel.
2. Winners of the Best Children’s Film and Best Teen Film are chosen from the winners of the main categories.
3. Winners of Best Children’s Film, Best Teen Film will be handed MEDEZFEST's official statuette called the “Il-Bumerin Dehbi” during the awarding ceremony.
4. In case of the recipients’ absence during the award ceremony, MEDEZFEST will send the statuette to them via post.
5. Other additional award prizes may be given during the ceremony.
– NOT SELECTED – unfortunately your film didn’t meet the minimum requirements of the Film Festival
– SEMI-FINALIST – your film was selected as the semi-finalist in the category(s) to which it was submitted. The judging status is to all categories.
– FINALIST – your film was selected as the finalist in the category(s) to which it was submitted. The judging status is to all categories.
– WINNER – your film won the category(s) to which it was submitted and received the Official Selection to the Live Screening.
This makes the selection process more transparent to all filmmakers and is a guarantee that all kind of films (short, feature, student, documentary, etc) have equal opportunities to be selected to the Live Screening.
For translation's sake, the Maltese words: Il-Bumerin Dehbi may be translated in English to: The Golden Monk Seal.
The Mediterranean monk seal (Monachus monachus) is a monk seal belonging to the family Phocidae. It is the only seal to inhabit the Mediterranean basin and is a critically endangered species. According to the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) (2012), the Mediterranean monk seal is on the verge of extinction, currently amounting to approximately 700 individuals. The Mediterranean monk seal sightings have been historically recorded in the surrounding Maltese waters, however, nowadays are near to none.
Rules and Terms
Submit your works using the link below: